The baroque Clausholm Castle was built by the Danish Chancellor, Count Conrad Reventlow, in the 1690s – and along with it, the small and richly ornamented chapel in the western wing of the castle. The chapel seats up to 95 church goers.
The chapel, as we see it today, was furnished and decorated in 1732 by the widowed Queen Anna Sophie, who was banished to her childhood home, Clausholm. The old chapel is richly and beautifully ornamented, and from the ceiling hangs an extremely well-preserved ship – a full-rigger dating back to app. 1730. The ship was donated by Queen Anna Sophie.
The chapel at Clausholm has a very old and exquisite organ, which was built especially for the castle back in the 1690s. The organ is one of the oldest of its kind in Denmark still in use – and, despite their old age, the old organ pipes can still produce the most beautiful tunes.
The chapel at Clausholm is consecrated, but has no permanent clergyman attached to it. The chapel is open to visitors every summer, along with the rest of the castle. You can see the opening hours here.